Sunday, April 21, 2013

Turkish delight

I noticed that there's a new barber's next door to Uncle Fester's Diner. I have to point out here that Uncle Fester's Diner does exist and it's just down the road from Railway Cuttings. I was taken by an exchange between the owner and one of his schoolboy customers:

Child: "Are you really Uncle Fester?" 
Uncle Fester lookalike: "Fuck off."
I noticed that the new place was advertising "Turkish shaves." Turkish shaves? I asked The Small Object of Desire who told me that it's the proper stuff with hot towels and that. The sort of thing you see in the fillums. I have always hankered after one of those but convinced myself that they don't exist in real life. And they're doing them down the road.

If you find yourself eating a sulky meat pie that keeps harking back to the 1930's you'll know the back story.

4 comments:

Lulu LaBonne said...

I've seen them doing one of those Turkish Shaves, it looks as though they'll singe off your nose and ear hairs as part of the service - I'm all for it!

dinahmow said...

There was rumoured to be a classy "establishment for gentlemen" in London, where the chaps could have such a shave after the other entertainment.
I wonder if it was true?

Gadjo Dilo said...

I think I had one of them Turkish shaves once in Macedonia. The guy kept winking at me - all part of the service, I guess.

libby said...

Have the shave.....you'll have a face as smooth as a babies backside after.