Thursday, April 04, 2013

Spring song

a courting coupleImagine my delight at seeing Annabel Clarabelle Jane
Walking her pet poodle down a country lane.
She caught my eye (I'd thrown it), she gave a saucy grin.
We tied the dog securely outside the village inn.
I went to buy some condoms and she drank a quart of gin
And the landlord went and put it on my slate.
The blaze of her eyes and the curl of her hair and
The curves and the dimples I found here and there
All in an April's day.

Her father grew tomatoes, the biggest that I've ever seen
And had a pet green budgie - Priscilla Desert Queen.
He has tattoos of ladies' loos from airports round the globe;
And keeps mousetraps in oddment scraps torn from a Papal robe;
And something rather grisly hanging from a nasal lobe
But I didn't care to take too close a look.
The blaze of her eyes and the curl of the hair and
The fun that we had when her parents weren't there
All in an April's day.

5 comments:

dinahmow said...

April's first day?

Ms Scarlet said...

Too cold for all that sort of malarkey... let's wait until May.
Sx

Gadjo Dilo said...

Blimey, that's better than Betjeman! I once had a girlfriend like that. Welsh, she was - being born up the arse end of a valley can do strange things to a person.

Kim Velk said...

Did you write that? I already suspected you were some kind of genius, now I know...

Where are the Macarthur people and their heavy checkbook?

Kevin Musgrove said...

dinahmow: You know by now that every day's a fool's day round here.

Scarlet: It's never too cold for all that sort of malarkey. That's what the Damart condoms are for.

Gadjo and Kim: I blush at such praise. Thank you.