Tuesday, October 20, 2009

There are some things that man can never understand

This morning was the first properly cold one we've had so far this autumn, with a biting wind whistling through the undergrowth. As I stood on the railway platform it occurred to me that I should have brought my gloves with me. One of my fellow passengers, one of the familiar faces, puzzled me somewhat.

She's in her late thirties. Today she was wearing a short skirt, low-cut top, short-sleeved cardigan...

...and a scarf.

11 comments:

Barlinnie said...

The answer is right there in front of you Kevin.

...."she"

Who knows what makes these beautiful, but extremely complex, creatures tick?

Gareth Williams said...

Woolly scarf, no knickers?

Ms Scarlet said...

A scarf can cover a multitude of sins.
Sx

Kevin Musgrove said...

You are so right Jimmy!

Gareth: it was round her neck

Scarlet: ditto...

savannah said...

but did she look cute, sugar?;~D xoxoxxo

Gadjo Dilo said...

I have an image of Rita Tushingham in some 1960s British movie, and I rather like it.

KAZ said...

You must realise Kevin - that these young women who walk round in boob tubes and minis when it's freezing cold are aliens.

worm said...

she may be beating the cold through the wearing of incredibly large thermal underpants

xerxes said...

Their beauty keeps women warm. This knowledge is the fruit of decades of observation.

worm said...

obviously Inkspot has never been to Newcastle....

Kevin Musgrove said...

Savannah: she looked damned cold! (-;

Gadjo: you're right: she'd have looked better in black and white.

Kaz: you raise an important dilemma for me: if I see a woman in her late thirties as being young does that mean I'm still young-ish 'cos I'm not that much older or am I the older for thinking someone that age is young?

worm and Inky demonstrate the eternal tension between man's natural romanticism and the evidence of his eyes on a cold January evening when the pubs are closing.