Sunday, August 02, 2009

Lingua Franca

My dad's quite enjoying going to church these days. He's a bit put out that the communion wine has been locked in the keep because of the swine flu but aside from that he's settled in quite well. Today he was delighted by the appearance of some Finns. I don't know why they were there, and if he knew he'd forgotten, but a party from Finland came along to join in and take the lesson.

"And do you know, their English was perfect. I mean, not like us, we're natives and we don't bother learning other people's langauges. We're just lazy, like the French. Absolutely perfect diction. You might have thought they come from Yorkshire."

I'm still trying to get my head round any of that.

8 comments:

Affer said...

I was swimming in the sea near Adelaide when some Fins appeared. I didn't wait to see if they spoke English - I just got out of the water.

Lulu LaBonne said...

I suffered great cognitive dissonance recently when a Cuban lady spoke to me in fluent Geordie (but with a cuban accent)

Ms Scarlet said...

A Dane once told me that his English was so good because they watch British and American TV?
Sx

KAZ said...

It all makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps they have Emmerdale in Finland.

Scarlett Parrish said...

I love your dad. His logic tickles me.

xerxes said...

You will recall that in Hartlepool, during the Napoleonic wars, a monkey swam ashore from a shipwreck and the locals hanged it as a French spy.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Yorkshire, indeed, what imagination your father has! A Finn's diction is surely more close to the English of the Fenlands, an equally wet and isolated region.

Kevin Musgrove said...

The Finns I've met have all had impeccable English of the style produced by RADA in the mid-fifties, with a slight inflection. Nowt like Yorkshire!