Sunday, October 30, 2011

Birthday honours

We are slightly out of sorts, we are, by the concept of Sir Bruce Forsyth. Nothing against the man, please understand me, but not an easy one for my household to get its head round. We are actively outraged by the idea of Sir Tom Jones and the cold grim reality that in five or six years' time it'll be Dame Lulu.

I've long argued that it's more than time that Nicholas Parsons got a knighthood. The Small Object of Desire objected on the grounds that Peter Shilton hadn't got one for "being lovely." Even she had to admit that he couldn't have one before Gordon Banks. We agreed to disagree, eventually, over the merits or not of Sir Nobby Stiles.

John Inman and Roy Barraclough should both be made Dames of the British Empire for their services to pantomime.

As should Jeremy Paxman.

7 comments:

dinahmow said...

Thankyou for making me spit coffee on my keyboard. :-)

libby said...

All those in favour say aye.....
could we include Bernard Cribbins?

Ms Scarlet said...

What about Barbara Windsor?
Sx

the.effing.librarian said...

I haven't stopped by for a while, so I hope all is well. Because I don't understand one word you write and don't have a clue (American). cheers.

Nota Bene said...

What about Sir Cliff Richard. Oh.

Pat said...

Tee hee! Jeremy Paxman!

Kevin Musgrove said...

Dinahmow: we live to serve :-)

Libby: it should be taken as read, of course.

Scarlet: prior to Eastenders I'd have agreed with you, but she's got a lot to live down now.

effing: welcome back! You know bynow that *none* of this makes any sense, regardless of nationality.

nota: quite so…

Pat: don't mock: he could be one of your own. :-)