Saturday, July 19, 2008

Izzy wizzy let's get busy!

Elsewhere in the blogosphere I said that I really should hunt down a copy of Sooty, Sweep and the magnificent Harry Corbett's "Kitchen capers" sketch from the black and white days of children's television. I have a bad copy somewhere on a battered old VHS tape in the "study," but being without videotape facilities at the moment (a longer story than you want) there's no point in starting an excavation.

Today's initial forays have been unsuccessful, but I have found a clip from Danny Baker's TV Heroes programme on Harry Corbett, including some tantalising fragments from the sketch.


I'm with Danny Baker with his assessment of Harry Corbett. The man really had a quiet, unassuming genius: this interplay between one man and his hand is something a method actor would cry for.

1 comment:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Somehow I never got to see Sooty when I was a kid, but you're right, it's brilliant! How a man can do this without suffering from some serious multiple-personality disorder is beyond me.