Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
as mediated by the spirit voice of Al Read

This literally came to me in a dream. It helps if you can hear the voice in your mind's ear.


In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree...
"A pleasure dome? A pleasure dome? What the thump's a pleasure dome?" - that's the wife from the kitchen.
"Oh, hello love."
"Go on then, what's a pleasure dome?"
"Well... It's like a big building and you go in there and you... well you go there to enjoy yourself."
"Oh aye? Just like you and your boozy mates in that shed of yours out in the back. Sat round supping ale and telling each other mucky stories."
"Well that's where you're wrong: it's not like my shed."
"I should think not. Going round decreeing pleasure domes. I ask you. And when are you going to do something about that shed?"
"What's up with that shed? There's nothing wrong with it."
"Nothing wrong with it? For one thing, the door's been hanging off it this past eight months. Anyone could get in there. Or anything. It's got so I daren't go in to use the mangle in case I find a fur stole I've not got."
"Well, I'm not doing anything with that shed. I'm busy decreeing my pleasure dome."
"And where are you having this pleasure dome may I ask? You're not digging up that rhubarb again. If was down to you we'd have nothing for our supper."


Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
"Alf? Who's Alf? Another of your drinking cronies?"
"No, I told you woman: Alph's the sacred river."
"What sort of a name is Alf for a sacred river?"


Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
"And when are you going to sort out the damp in that cellar?"
"Oh, stop your wittling woman! I'm talking about the sacred river Alph, five miles meandering with a mazy motion through wood and dale."
"Aye, with ten pints of ale down its neck, I'll be bound! And I'm telling you now: pleasure dome or no pleasure dome if I find you palling round with any more Abysinnian maids with their dulcimers you'll be getting a thick ear."
"I don't know what you mean, love."
"I don't know what you mean, love? Well let me tell you, my lad, Kubla Khan? Kubla bloody can't. So pack it in!"


7 comments:

savannah said...

grand dream and even better with that voice, sugar! thanks for the laughs! xoxoxo

fairyhedgehog said...

That's wonderful!

Ms Scarlet said...

Is this something to do with Olivia Newton John or Tina Turner?
Sx

Madame DeFarge said...

There is no soul in some people. I warbled 'Sailing to Byzantium' and M. DeFarge pointed out that we'd flown.

And we need more ELO songs on here too re Scarlet and her ONJ comment.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ha! How I miss the Lancashire accent. On a parallel subject, what about that Charon, the one that guides you to the underworld - is her name pronounced "Karen" or "Sharon"?

Kevin Musgrove said...

Thanks all. I was a bit wary of transcribing the notes straight from the commonplace book but decided not to attempt to tart it up at all.

Gadjo: it's Sharon, with an estaury twang. That's why you get a ride for tuppence.

Luna said...

I could hear Her in my ear, from the kitchen...would she at least make us a nice cup of tea and bring it to the pleasure dome of the shed...she doesn't have to come it just leave it by the door and we'll enjoy our tea while listening to the pleasure dome stories LOL


oh the things Russell Brand has brought into my world..today he brought you and your writings...so hello to you ...and Thanks to Russell...maybe we'll 3 have a cup of tea and a lovely chat one day