Sunday, March 08, 2009

Library thinks

The Major has given up on his library blog, which I think is a bit of a shame as I am interested in the goings-on at Sheboygan, especially now it's under new management (it's a Yin/Yang thing). He felt that it wasn't going anywhere. Me, I wouldn't be fussed: 'not going anywhere' is such a perfect description of so many facets of my life that I may insist on having it inscribed on my tombstone.

I can see the problem from his perspective, though. There are times when I weary of the prolonged whinge that is my other blog (just how often can you complain about the same damn-fool bit of mismanagement that happens in the same place at the same time every year?) but at least it's a way of my letting off steam. At the opposite end of the spectrum are the people blogging about neat things in libraries/librarianship (it will astonish some of you to know that my other self has done one of those in the past). That's easy enough if you're bumping into enough neat stuff (it's out there to be bumped into, even if it's bloody hard work to get libraries to use it).

The area in between is difficult ground to plough: if you're not fuelled by extremes of frustration or enthusiasm , where's the motive force to keep it going? If you have to generate the motive force yourself the danger is that it becomes a chore instead of a pleasure. And if it's a chore and you don't have to do it then why bother? Life's short and cluttered enough.

So I'll respect the Major's decision, of course, but I'll still regret its passing.

6 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

"if you're not fuelled by extremes of frustration or enthusiasm , where's the motive force to keep it going?... I reckon you could invent a blog library where all sorts of nonsense happens, if you really had to. Better still, make the people who do create nonsense in libraries confine their activities to blogs.

Ms Scarlet said...

I think Gadj could be on to something...
Sx

Kevin Musgrove said...

I reckon it would be quite difficult to invent nonsense that hasn't happened in a library somewhere.

And unfortunately I also reckon that the people who do create this nonsense aren't capable of blogging.

Ms Scarlet said...

I used to quite fancy working in a library and wearing a cardy with a tissue stuffed up a sleeve.
I reckon this is just my romantic vision though...
Sx

Kevin Musgrove said...

Scarly, you really wouldn't want to know what library staff have stuffed up their sleeves!

Anonymous said...

Bless you, Dear Boy.

Major Tom